Software Manager (Poole, UK)
Device Applications Software Manager
Flowbird Transport delivers solutions for smart cities on the move. Our Smart Transport solutions can be seen in world-class cities including London, Edinburgh, Paris, New York, Sydney, Rome, Brussels and Toronto. Flowbird is present in 5,000 towns and cities around the world. We employ over 1,300 people creating and delivering effective, high quality solutions for our clients.
Our market leadership is underpinned by a continuous drive to innovate and push the frontiers of what is possible in order to make our customers more successful. As a result, we are a thriving business that is investing strongly and building the team for both new opportunities and supporting existing ones.
This role is based in the office in Poole, with flexibility for remote working 1-2 days per week. Our UK headquarters is based in Poole on the Dorset coast with its bustling quay, some of the best beaches in the UK and a stunning natural harbour. There is easy access to the Dorset countryside, the New Forest and the spectacular Jurassic Coast. Our main office is 1 mile from Poole railway station with good public transport links and close to both Bournemouth and Southampton international airports.
This role offers a hybrid working style. Typically this is three days office, two days remote.
As Flowbird continues to grow, we are creating a new position for a Device Application Software Manager who will be responsible for the line management of several software teams. Whilst this is not a hands-on software development role, it is expected that applicants for this position will have good experience of software development. recruitment, staff appraisals and development, software development process and tooling improvements and managing software resource allocation to projects.
In this role, good soft skills are essential. The Device Application Software Manager will need to engage with a range of stakeholders at various levels of seniority across the Flowbird business, hence good verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Will be a key member of the SW leadership team
- Management of on-shore Device Application software teams, total team size of approximately 15;
- Management of outsourced off-shore teams, team size approximately 20;
- Staff recruitment activities;
- Staff appraisal and development;
- Coaching of direct reports covering scrum masters and software engineers;
- Preparation of resource plans to ensure resource availability to meet project and R&D commitments;
- Leadership of Device Application Software teams process and tooling improvement activities to achieve quality goals;
- KPI based reporting on Device Application Software team status;
- Stakeholder engagement: Project teams, Systems Teams and Senior Management;
- Ensure that process governance is enforced so that technical standards, documentation and processes are applied to all software delivery artefacts;
- Support software design reviews and provide guidance to development teams where needed.
- Experience of embedded software application design and development;
- Management of software development teams, preferably 10 or more team members;
- Management of outsourced offshore software development teams;
- Software implementation using Agile and Waterfall methodologies;
- Defining and rolling out software development process changes and tooling improvements;
- Application of CI based development and test automation;
- Creation and maintenance of software development KPIs;
- Stakeholder engagement including regular status reporting.
- Experience of C# .NET CF running on AndroidOS and Windows Embedded Compact .NET CF;
- Experience of database technologies e.g. SQLite;
- Scaling Agile methodologies ideally including some knowledge of Disciplined Agile and LeSS;
- HMI design and implementation;
- Interfacing with factory engineering teams to provide assistance to resolve production test issues;
- Any of the following areas of expertise would be an advantage:
- Transport Ticketing
- Point of Sale Terminals
- Contactless Smartcards, ITSO
- Contactless Payments and Payments Standards (cEMV, PCI)
- Internet Security and protocols – e.g. OWASP, OAuth2, OpenID
- Relevant software engineering degree.
Company Benefits Include
- 25 days holiday, plus Bank holidays, with the option to buy or sell days
- Up to 6% contributory Company pension scheme
- Life assurance of x4 annual salary
- Health Cash Plan
- Discounted gym membership with a company subsidy
- Six months Company sick pay
- Employee discounts
- Employee assistance programme available 24/7
- Flexible Benefits platform giving you the option to purchase additional benefits including critical illness cover, additional life assurance, dental insurance, health screening, cycle to work scheme, personal car leasing, breakdown cover, purchase of technology
- Paid Employee Volunteering days
- Hybrid working
- Additional Maternity / Paternity leave
- Free onsite car parking
- Free tea/coffee
***no agencies please***Apply for this job