About the role:
The Data team plays a crucial role in enhancing the company's data capabilities. They are responsible for developing and maintaining the infrastructure, systems, and tools necessary for sourcing and organizing all the company's data assets, ensuring these data assets are readily available to all stakeholders who require them.
As a Senior Data Developer at PayByPhone, you'll bring your creative and curious spirit to help lead technological innovation. Our talented and passionate team values learning and fun as we work to make parking easy and secure for millions of global consumers.
Here's what you'll do:
- Construct scalable data models; and build, maintain and test data pipelines to take data from various data stores (e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, unstructured data, internal and external sources) through to our data marts/warehouses contained in Snowflake DB.
- Provide/influence the future design and architecture of our data pipelines; data storage; and data collection architecture, to ensure that it can grow and scale elastically as the company does.
- Lead the design, implementation and continued support of a new platform for providing both business and technical stakeholders secure, ad-hoc access to large datasets.
- Guide other members of the Data Platform team to build their expertise, through mentorship, training sessions, code review etc.
- Help build up data competence within the company, collaborating with other technical teams to define and standardize data collection best practices, address data quality issues, and ensure the security, reliability and dependability of company data.
- Work cross-functionally with other teams (e.g., product managers, data platform developers, business teams) to support business analytics requirements as well as the data-related needs of product and feature launches.
- Participate in both maintenance and new feature development .
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation.
- You must maintain a personal data plan to fulfill your responsibilities for on-call support.
- 5+ years experience in a data-related development role, including advanced knowledge of data platform development, data warehousing, business intelligence, and/or data science.
- Experience provisioning infrastructure and implementing ETL processes, creating data pipelines at a terabyte scale.
- Solid, demonstrable knowledge of relational databases and querying using SQL.
- Able to write small applications, services, or utilities using an object-oriented language (C#, Python).
- Familiar with using version control, working in a CICD environment.
- Experience with containarized applications using Docker, and container orchestration tools (e.g Kubernetes, ECS).
- Excellent understanding of software development best practices.
- Leverage Infrastructure as Code (IaC) principles to automate infrastructure provisioning and configuration.
- Able to write clear documentation for teaching and reference purposes.
- Proficient with cloud platforms like AWS/Azure/GCP.
- Experience using GIT for version control.
- Experience with the Atlassian suite of tools - specifically Jira.
- Comfortable working in an Agile development environment using processes like Kanban or Scrum.
- Exceptional communication skills - you can communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Happy and productive working in both self-directed and collaborative dynamics.
- You are a mentor - providing guidance and leadership and are invested in the growth of your team.
- You are curious - eager to suggest and test new ideas for using data in innovative ways, you understand that failing is part of the learning process. You keep up with new technologies and find ways to improve the status quo.
The nice to haves:
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, Data Science or other technical field.
- Experience using one or more big data technologies (e.g. Hive, Spark, Presto) is preferred.
- Experience implementing ETL processes with Terraform, Docker, Snowflake, and Airflow is a substantial asset.
- Experience with C# and .net core.
- Experience using a variety of AWS cloud services.
- Experience with requirements gathering and translating technical requirements to non-technical stakeholders.
Success in this role looks like:
- Able to quickly take over the current architecture and team mentorship responsibilities.
- Confidently deliver additional functionality to the existing platform.
- Provide guidance on the direction that the Data Platform should take to achieve our goals.
- Work with the team to develop and uphold coding standards; you take the lead in the technical design and architecture of the domain.
- Participate in the team’s on-call rotation, but since you build robust software this does not disrupt your work-life balance
Here at PayByPhone, our strength is in our people: a talented team behind a fantastic product. We are a creative, ambitious and driven multi-disciplinary group. We value learning and fun as we innovate to help millions of consumers pay for parking easily and securely. Our teams are growing; but not without you.
Together, we’re on a mission to simplify the world of mobility payments – one parking spot at a time. We’re one of the fastest-growing mobile payment companies in the world and process over 100 million parking, transit, and bike-share transactions a year in cities across North America, Europe and Australia. Our teams help millions of consumers easily and securely pay for parking and transportation without the hassles of waiting in line, carrying change, or risking costly fines.
PayByPhone is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated equally. The Company does not tolerate discrimination or harassment in the workplace or talent attraction processes. Our commitment is to attract and acquire talent that are representative of the talent market, and are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
At PayByPhone, we operate in a constantly evolving world. With change being a long-time friend of ours, we have our values to guide how we work as a team to deliver on our commitments. In short, we:
Make things happen
See through our customers’ eyesApply for this job