PayByPhone is looking to hire a Senior Software Developer to join our Parking Team. You’ll develop major components of the backend API’s that power our consumer apps.
The Parking Team builds and operates the API’s at the heart of the PayByPhone parking platform, enabling over 17 million users to conveniently pay for parking. The team’s current focus is on transitioning our core parking service from a legacy monolith to a microservice cloud architecture, while adding new capabilities and features to support our multi-national client base. Every member of the team contributes to our technical direction, taking the lead in specific technical or functional areas.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Leave your fingerprints on the design of products, architect our infrastructure, and improve technical documentation
- Be a go-to technical expert for other people in the organization, articulating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Write code and mentor teammates as they test-drive code for new features and bugfixes.
- Learn from your teammates and help them learn through pairing and mob programming sessions
- Work with your team to design and develop automated test suites, specify and refine acceptance criteria, and establish test plans.
- Participate in code reviews to share expertise with the team, ensure code quality, and verify PCI compliance
- Use and improve our automated CI/CD pipeline
- Provision and maintain cloud infrastructure for your team’s products
- Monitor the health and success of your team’s products through application, system, and business metrics
- Own the success of the systems you and your team develop. This includes monitoring, investigating issues, and supporting the service during outages
- Provide on-call, critical response on a rotational basis to support relevant PayByPhone development teams
- 5+ years’ experience designing, developing, and maintaining scalable production software that stands up to real-world users and production conditions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent
- An excellent understanding of software engineering techniques
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, or DynamoDB
- You’ve worked in or are interested in working in an agile environment using processes like Kanban or Scrum
- Experience mentoring junior and intermediate developers
- Experience with TDD/BDD practices
The nice to haves:
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS/Azure
- Previous experience and/or interest in team leadership
- Experience with service-oriented or microservice architecture, including asynchronous event-based integration
- Experience improving legacy systems, or migrating them to a microservice architecture
Success in this role looks like:
- Writing clean, maintainable code with good test coverage
- Helping the team make technical decisions, taking a lead role where appropriate
- Effectively communicating technical decisions
- Mentoring junior and intermediate team members, helping to grow new technical leaders
- Making regular contributions to the team's processes, roadmap, and architecture
- Helping improve the operational reliability of the team's systems
Here at PayByPhone, our strength is in our people: a talented team behind a fantastic product. We are a creative, ambitious and driven multi-disciplinary group. We value learning and fun as we innovate to help millions of consumers pay for parking easily and securely. Our teams are growing; but not without you.
Together, we’re on a mission to simplify the world of mobility payments – one parking spot at a time. We’re one of the fastest-growing mobile payment companies in the world and process over 100 million parking, transit, and bike-share transactions a year in cities across North America, Europe and Australia. Our teams help millions of consumers easily and securely pay for parking and transportation without the hassles of waiting in line, carrying change, or risking costly fines.
Now, with a recent acquisition by Volkswagen Financial Services, our growth has a global focus and we can’t do it alone. We need the right people working with us to help reach our lofty goals and we want it to be you.
PayByPhone is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated equally. The Company does not tolerate discrimination or harassment in the workplace or talent attraction processes. Our commitment is to attract and acquire talent that are representative of the talent market, and are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
At PayByPhone, we operate in a constantly evolving world. With change being a long-time friend of ours, we have our values to guide how we work as a team to deliver on our commitments. In short, we:
Make things happen
See through our customers’ eyesApply for this job