The protection of data from unauthorized access is known as data security. But what does this mean in relation to parking management? How crucial is data security to the parking business and what kind of data needs to be secured?
Data Security in Parking
The parking business today doesn’t just involve management, organization and the physical security of the vehicles and cash stores. Thanks to smart parking systems generating data, new dimensions have sprung. Modern parking lots give their users options like online bookings, payment through credit or debit cards, and maintaining e-wallets. But these functions require the user to fill out their personal information and financial details online. This data is stored with the parking company for current and future transactions. This kind of information is very valuable and can be used by fraudsters in various ways. Therefore it becomes crucial for parking companies to protect their customers’ data.
Why Invest in Data Security
There are many reasons why parking companies should want to invest in data security services. These may range from building trust to comply with laws. Ensuring safety measures in the organization can provide the following benefits.
- Customer Trust – Customers provide their relevant financial details and other information so that they do not have to enter it for every subsequent transaction. The trust that the customer places in the organization in doing so should be repaid by preventing unauthorized access to this personal data.
- Security Concerns – As innovation happens in the field of information technology each passing day, the chances of a data breach and getting hacked are also increasing. Thus, one of the main aspects for customers in choosing service providers is data security.
- Legal Compliance – Many local and central authorities have strict laws on unauthorized use and breach of customer data. Failure to comply with the laws can attract strict fines which are neither good for the finances nor for the reputation of the organization.
How to Ensure Data Security
It may be argued that the hassles of data security can be avoided if one refuses to upgrade to match the contemporary business scenario. But that is not the ideal solution, as smart parking technology is reaching a new pinnacle it would be ignorant to not invest in its advances. Thus it is better to opt for measures to secure information.
Data security can be ensured with the following measures:
- Develop Secure Policies: It is necessary to develop security policies that match the business style of the organization while ensuring the privacy of information. You must keep in mind the size of your organization’s workforce. For example, it may be easy to store customer information in spreadsheets or local files, but it creates a chink in the armor and thus, secure payment gateway services should be engaged.
- Hire Experts: Handling the parking business and ensuring data protection at the same time can burden you, and may result in deterioration of the quality of both objectives. Thus it is recommended to hire a company whose primary job is data protection. This way you can focus on your business while ensuring data safety.
- Documentation: Even if you do fall victim to a data breach, a proper step-by-step documentation process will help you to trace back to the origin of the fraud. Proper documentation and audit can also save the organization’s reputation and help in the court’s proceedings.
- Enquiry: Enquire after your customers’ data and its protection from the hired data protection company. Staying in the loop always helps in the long run and can bring effective results. Know about where that data is stored, how it is protected and how is it transmitted.
Data security in parking should be your proactive approach and not a reactive measure. Ensuring data security can not only help in legal situations but can also give you an edge over your competition.
Secure Your Facility With Get My Parking
Embrace the power of smart parking to maximize security in your facility. Get My Parking's full suite of parking solutions digitizes your daily operations and frees up human resources from manually registering entry and exit of vehicles. Sensor and camera-based solutions optimize surveillance and prevent the entry of unauthorized vehicles. Upgrade to smart tech and make parking a smooth and safe experience for your customers.
About Get My Parking
Get My Parking is an award-winning provider of the Interoperable Digital Parking Platform that integrates any parking equipment and connects it to mobile and cloud for a standardized seamless experience. It enables parking operators and owners to leapfrog to a customized white-label solution with their existing equipment. It essentially plays the role of connecting all parking and mobility stakeholders on a common platform that was until now operating in silos. It has a presence in over 4 countries and processes over 2 million transactions per month. It was awarded ‘Amazon AWS Mobility Startup of the Year (emerging) 2017’ in the Travel category.